Rhys Taylor specialises in money and property disputes following family relationship breakdown.
In the field of financial remedies he has a noted and sought after specialism dealing with pensions on divorce. He is very well versed with cohabitant disputes or disputes involving third party rights in financial remedy cases.
As a “family law” barrister with significant experience of contested civil trials, he is well placed to assist family lawyers with substantive and procedural advice in either fighting or resolving disputes arising under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.
Rhys is both an IFLA appointed arbitrator and civil mediator. He also offers Early Neutral Evaluation (private FDRs) for both TOLATA and financial remedy disputes.
He was voted “Family Law Commentator of the Year” in the 2015 Jordans’ Family Law Awards.
He is a co-author of the third edition of “Pensions on Divorce: A Practitioner’s Handbook” (LexisNexis/Jordans) and a member of the Pension Advisory Group.
Rhys lectures on his areas of interest, including at the Judicial College on the subject of pensions on divorce.
- Dobson v Griffey  EWHC 1117 (Ch)
- Rhys has extensive experience in all aspects of matrimonial finance and family property disputes. In the field of financial remedy work Rhys deals with complex assets, often held by third parties, discretionary family trusts or companies. Rhys has a particular interest in disputes concerning the beneficial ownership of farms and estates in the family property context.
- Rhys is an arbitrator, appointed under the Institute for Family Arbitrator’s scheme and also a collaborative lawyer. Rhys is also able to provide Early Neutral Evaluation in TOLATA cases.
- ‘Highly recommended for pension work relating to financial remedies.’ (Legal 500, 2018)
- ‘One of my favourite barristers. He really has developed huge expertise, particularly on pensions. He does a great job, he’s very knowledgeable and he argues well.’ (Chambers UK, 2018)
- ‘Well known as a pension specialist in the field of financial remedies’. (Legal 500, 2017)
- ‘A well-respected barrister, known for his financial family practice with significant expertise in trusts of land and Inheritance Act cases. He is regularly instructed in disputes involving agricultural and farming elements. Strengths: “The leading junior for money and TOLATA cases.’ “Very good on trusts of land cases, and very much has his finger on the pulse.” (Chambers UK, 2017)
- ‘An extremely thorough advocate, who is a first choice for complex cases.’ (Legal 500, 2016)
- ‘Focuses his practice on financial family matters, particularly medium to high-value ancillary relief cases. He specialises in TOLATA matters, and takes on a number of co-owner land and property disputes. He is extremely conscientious, and very good on financial-related matters.’ (Chambers UK 2015, Band 1)
- ‘He is incredibly academic and studious; one of the most enthusiastic counsel you will meet.’ (Chambers UK 2014. Band 1)
- ‘Leading junior for finance and TOLATA cases’ with ‘very considerate’ approach. (Chambers UK, 2013)
- ‘Really pleasant, thorough and efficient, particularly noted for his expertise in ancillary relief proceedings and TOLATA applications’. (Chambers UK, 2012)
- ‘Highly regarded for ancillary relief’. (Chambers UK, 2011)
- ‘Strong on the ancillary relief front.’ (Legal 500, 2011)
- Winner: ‘Most Innovative Family Lawyer of the Year, Jordans Family Law Awards 2012
- Winner: ‘Family Law Commentator of the Year’, Jordans Family Law Awards 2015
- Reading University LLB (Hons) 1995
- Pensions on Divorce: A Practitioner’s Handbook (LexisNexis) Hay, Hess, Lockett and Taylor (2018)
- TOLATA procedural guide (Class), @eGlance
- The Rise of Private FDRs  Fam Law 1092
- Pensions on Divorce: Another Witches’ Brew  Fam Law 163
- Recurring Misconceptions in TOLATA cases  Fam Law 911
- Apples or Pears? Pension Offsetting on Divorce  Fam Law 1485 (with Hilary Woodward)
- Family Law Bar Association
- Bar Council ADR Panel
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Rhys is a Civil Mediation Council registered Civil and Commercial mediator